Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Class Reflections



UWP this summer was pretty enjoyable overall. In many ways I was annoyed to stay an extra session after graduation for a requirement, I feel, is not necessary for majors required to write final 15-page papers every quarter. However, it also gave me a chance to simply think without the clouds of extra-curriculars, huge papers, and rehearsals. I was allowed to put more effort into my work, learning, and plans.

This summer has given me that extra chance to plan what my next step is, explore where I choose to apply my philosophies, and engage in an open discussion with students much more different than those I am used to in my programs. What I most appreciated in the class was the encouragement of discussion. I felt challenged, unsure, and sometimes even wise. It was nice that no matter how frustrating a discussion became (like those of race), in that frustration was inherent learning about those around you and the perspectives that exist.

I believe that more than a writing class, UWP this summer has been one of a thinking class or a meanings class. Possibly that knowledge awareness or listening skill in itself could improve one's writing. Although I wondered what the blog activity would have been like had we not known the writer's identities, I did prefer knowing. It was a way for me to connect and become interested. Those that said something that provoked interest in me during class were the blogs I usually read. The blog format was great as well, because I feel as though I was encouraged to use my own voice more. This was due to the fact that I wanted to keep my peers interested and wasn't simply fighting for a grade and writing what a teacher felt was thought-provoking.

I will, however say (this is just due to my personality and interests) that I found discussions of technology (mostly new ones, like phones, or apple computers) were less interesting to me. It may be because that is a common topic among regular conversations and our lives, that I find it less dynamic or stimulating. I did enjoy however those that could be philosophized: art, movie meanings, identity, etc. I suppose everything could arguably be art or philosophized so maybe I am being contradictory as well.

I did very much enjoy the class and I'd say one of its biggest selling points is the style of open discussion, mainly because I feel I have learned and have been challenged. I also feel it was encouraged to be unsure of your opinion or view so it could be a discussion. I noticed that when someone said "I believe" they were often challenged but when someone said "I wonder," the subject or thought was more explored. And that to me was very cool.

I am fairly certain Chris is an alien or doing a social experiment on his class. There were many examples of things such as facebook, airsoft guns, etc that are strangely fascinating to him that require description. Is Michigan code for Mars?

(Above is The Leviathan. This is my favorite of political philosophy. I thought about it a few times during different discussions. It talks about the idea of social contract, which falls into categories now of what is 'acceptable,' 'appropriate,' lawful,' or 'normal.' It's, in Chris' words, "fascinating.")

1 comment:

Christopher Schaberg said...

Philosophy is being fascinated by the ordinary. It's especially easy to be philosophical when you are an alien. You discovered my secret!